Friday 16 May 2014

Children see, children do...

Ever since I had my two boys, I've tried my best to raise them to embody the qualities I feel will most contribute to them having a good life, to becoming good men. 

To be honest and kind, confident but humble, strong but gentle. 

To accept others, and accept themselves. To be themselves regardless of what others think, and allow others to do the same. 

To value education, read books, be grateful and gracious, love openly, and find the extraordinary in the ordinary. 

To grow into kind men, who respect others, who respect women, and who respect themselves. 

It isn't always easy, but I'm trying my best to teach these things, and more, to my boys. 

And then I had a daughter. 

She's four months now, and has begun to look at me the way babies do, with love and adoration and pure reliance. 

And it hit me - it's not enough to simply teach, we have to live the way we want our children to live. 

I am now the most important role model in my daughter's life, as all mothers are to their daughters. 

It's up to me to show her, not just tell her, how to live a good life, a positive life, the best life possible. 

How to love and be loved. 

How to be compassionate and forgiving, but strong and independent. 

How to treat others, and how to be treated. 

To be true to her values, and value herself.  Her health, her happiness, her beliefs, her life. 

Living the life we want for our children is even harder than teaching it. But I'm trying. 

Apparently this ad was banned because it depicts children doing unsavoury things, but it's absolutely brilliant and really drives the message home. 

Watch it if you have a spare couple of minutes. 

It brings a tear to my eye every time. 





No comments:

Post a Comment